Fit employees’ will turn up to work every day more energised and alert than their unhealthy counterparts. They exercise, eat a healthy diet (which will sustain them all day), have better sleep patterns and most importantly, actively manage stress levels.
As business owners and /or managers of a business, when we rely on people for the ongoing operation of our business then we must also invest in keeping our people happy, motivated and healthy. Health and well-being in the workplace is an important strategy that benefits to both the employer and the worker.
There have been numerous studies that highlight the benefits, though as a reminder here are a few:
- increased productivity
- improved staff health and wellbeing
- staff who feel valued
- increased staff morale, satisfaction and motivation
- better work-life balance
- decreased stress and other work-related illness
- reduced sick leave
- fewer worker’s compensation claims
- reduced employee turnover
Though as an employer, can you really guide your employee’s health?
As the company custodian you are responsible to ensure that all assets are fully utilised, in working order for peak performance to maximise the company’s returns.
I am a great believer that your workforce are your greatest assets and the more they are appreciated, heard, valued and shown respect, the more passionate, productive and motivated they will become. Creating a fantastic workplace, that attracts high-calibre personnel and greater profits.
Following on with this line of thinking, an employee health and wellness program should be viewed exactly the same as an asset maintenance program.
Personally, knowing what I know now, I wish that the previous company I worked for had a health and wellness program.
The Personal Why’s are:
- A SENSE OF WELL-BEING: Being in good shape can give you more energy, reduce anxiety and depression, improve self-esteem, and help you better manage stress.
- MORE ENERGY, MORE PRODUCTIVE IN LESS TIME: Performing your work in less time gives you the freedom to spend less time at work. Allowing you to create balance in other areas of your life especially, family, socially and spiritually.
- LOOKING AND FEELING BETTER: You look better when you’re in shape and eating right. Staying active helps you tone muscles and improve your posture.
- NO LONGER AN OVERLY ACIDIC ENVIRONMENT: Let’s face it not much can thrive in acid. Eating a diet which is majority plant-based foods like fruits and veggies helps to create an alkaline environment and counteract any work related stress which produces cortisol that is also acidic. Your whole disposition changes when you bring the body back into balance, as every single system in the body is affected by too much acid.
- EVERY RELATIONSHIP IN YOUR LIFE WILL IMPROVE: This goes hand in hand with all of these personal why’s especially the last two points. You will begin to create a better relationship with yourself. Once you begin to love (truly love) who you are the only person you’ll be in competition with is‘yesterday you.’ From this space you will allow people to be who they are, which in turn creates better relationships as you’re more empathic.
- A GOOD SOCIAL LIFE: Staying active and balanced is a great way to have fun, make new friends, and spend quality time with family.
Whilst we can all choose to change our health and wellbeing individually, it can be a lot easier when our workplace has the same mindset and goals in creating a win-win for all.
Here are my top five reasons WHY becoming and staying healthy together works best when done through a company wellness program:
- Accountability buddies: When everyone is consciously exercising and eating healthy you are more likely to make the correct food choices. You will share best practices and call each other as and when required. You’ll make it fun.
- Competition makes you perform better: Most of us have at least a little competitive streak, and healthy competition is a good thing because it makes you perform better. None of us want to be the weakest link or the first to give up.
- Increases commitment massively: It’s one thing bailing on your own health plans, but it’s much, much harder to abandon your program when the whole workplace is living and breathing a healthy regime.
- Taking regular breaks: The whole company will begin to embrace eating away from your desk, taking breaks to breathe and revitalise. You’ll become a mindful eater and most importantly have better relationships with your co-workers, spending time with them away from your desks.
- Creating a collaborative team: Connecting from a health and wellness perspective assist you to be more aware and collaborative in relation to the workload/ duties / tasks. You will find ways to collaborate instead of compete. You’ll begin to look for best practices in all procedures. You’ll all become more inclusive.
We spend so much time in our professional lives that it seems logical that we should all have a health and wellness mindset.
Your bottom line is comparative with your employee’s bottoms, so why not have your profits increase as their bottoms decrease?
Healthy body = healthy mind = healthy bottom line.
Reach out when you’re to know more about how I can assist you to create a workplace where your employees are empowered in all areas of their lives, a joy to be around and have your best interests at heart.
Until next time…..
Be well and remember to make each day meaningful, memorable and magical………..and never, ever, ever stop dancing!
With Love & Gratitude